From the article: About Photography Community Critique Submission by JGables
About Photography Community Critiques for Vase with Butterfly
Moving Still Life
- I liked this the very first time I saw it, I think the light & dark is well balanced and I love the light coming through the vase.
Moving Still life
- I throughly enjoyed this photo. The strong black wall gave a distinct starting point moving you threw the scene with a sharp transition to white dissolving to gray and finally to black. I think the peeking bottom light helps highlight the curves of the vase. Contrasting with the straight lines of the wall and floor. The cured lines gives the light a sweeping feel of motion. The composition moves the viewers eye with the sweeping light. The Butterfly seems close to a 1/3 golden rule intersection if not exact. The light and dark are well balanced to carry the sweep across the scene. Very enjoyable photo.
- Overall this is a very good compostion. The changes I would suggest are personal preferances that should not detract from this fine photo. I find that the light between the lower left border and the vase distracting and would have done a little tighter crop on that side. The same is true with the baseboard. I would have probable cloned that out of the image. Again those are personal preferance. This is a good image.
Vase with Butterfly
- The butterfly should be more in focus and the light at the base of the vase is distracting.
- I already commented on this entry in the want critiqued thread but I will do so again here. I enjoy the composition, and like the use of natural light. I thought of it more as backlit than sidelit by the way the curtain was used to limit the lite comming in behind the subject (Vase). I thought the use of a black board under the vase may have been more dramatic than having it sit on the carpet itself, but this is only my opinion. I did have a hard time trying to decide the actual focal point, I would had the camera focus on the butterfly on the brance with an aperature of f11 or f16. To be honest I did not pick up on the light at the left edge of the vase between it and the curtain, but yes now that it was mentioned I may have tried to have the curtain come right against the bottom of the vase. All in all a very nice composition and great use of lighting. I like this submission..