From the article: About Photography Community Critique Submission by Olmail
About Photography Community Critique for Gravestone
Change the depth of field
- I have to agree with some of the other comments. The background is distracting, yet exchanging the other headstones with brush or something else isn't the answer, IMHO. If you change the depth of field to blur the background, you'll bring focus to the main headstone while still conveying the overall feel of being in an old cemetery. The B&W image is good, but I'd also play around with sepia and other tones to see what might give it more impact.
- I agree with Paul, a sepia tone would be an appropriate selection for this story.
- —Guest Jewel
This Image Has Character
- I love images of old headstones. I think they have a lot of character and tend to leave you wondering about the life that they represent. I would love to see this image with a sepia treatment and just a touch of soft focus to the background.
- The Gravestone seems to be a bit too large. I know it's the main object of the picture. But I would like to see the rest of the cemetery a more important part of the overall composition. Black and white pictures are tough for me, Jon. It's a good picture but could be greater.
- The contrast and lighting are excellent in my opinion. I think that the background is too cluttered. I would prefer just the brush and trees and maybe one other headstone in the background. The photo is very sombering. Good Work. Rhooks