From Liz Masoner, former About.com Guide
- Reviews - Equipment Rental Service
- Reviews - Camera Bags
- Reviews - Photography Lighting/Props
- Reviews - Photography Books
A camera is the most basic piece of equipment that photographer's use to turn light into photographs. In order to take better photos it is a good idea to understand as much as possible about your camera and its capabilities.
Photographic lenses are the eye of your camera. These conglomerations of glass and plastic focus light onto your film and control the magnification factor of your images.
- Camera Lens Parts
- Caring for Your Lens
- Comparison of Lens Magnifications
- Explanation of Lens Abbreviations
Props and Backgrounds
Photography props and backgrounds are a photographer's way of creating a scene when the actual location can not be used or would be dangerous. Here is where you will find information on available props, backgrounds and other supplies as well as ways to create your own.
- Make Your Own Graffiti-Style Heat Background
- Make Your Own Large "Candy" Heart Prop
- Make Your Own Old Master Style Background
- Children's Photography Props
- Make Your Own Pre-cut Matt Photo Frame
Reviews - Cameras and Lenses
Our cameras and lenses are our primary gear for capturing a photograph. They are usually the most expensive piece of photographic equipment so it is good to learn as much as possible before buying new cameras or lenses.
- Review of Canon 40D Camera
- Review of Nikon D90 Camera
- Review of Canon EF 300mm f2.8 USM IS Lens
- Review of Canon 2x Lens Extender
- Review of Nikkor 10.5mm Fisheye Lens
Reviews - Equipment Rental Service
There are times when we need equipment for only a few days or specialized expensive equipment we can't afford to purchase outright. Equipment rental services allow photographers to rent needed gear by the day, week, or month.
- Review of BorrowLenses.com Equipment Rental Service
- Review of CSIRentals.com Equipment Rental Service
Reviews - Camera Bags
Our camera bags protect our investment in our cameras and lenses while also making it easier to transport our gear. These reviews will show you the good and the bad of various camera bags.
Reviews - Photography Lighting/Props
Photography is the art of capturing light and sometimes we need to add more light to a situation. Props help us to create the illusion of another space in portrait settings. These reviews will help you determine if the lighting gear and props you are interested in is the right gear for you.
- Photography Lighting Review - Review of Vu-Pro Cool-V Fluorescent Lighting Kit
- Photography Lighting Review - Review of Vu-Pro Viper Softbox Quartz Lighting Kit
- Set of 3 Fake Baby Chicks
- Small Standing Rabbit Prop
Reviews - Photography Books
There are entire libraries worth of books about photography. These reviews should help you decide which ones are worth purchasing.