Whether you are a family of three or thirty there are great opportunities for Christmas card photos. Here are my top picks of Christmas card photo ideas for families.
1. Family Trimming TreeTrimming the Christmas tree together makes a great Christmas photo. This can be funny or serious. For a serious image, be sure that everyone's faces can be seen and place people on opposite sides of the tree so they are facing each other somewhat. For a funnier image, have one of the kids trying to sneak a present from under the tree while everyone else is decorating.
2. Family SnowmanIf you live in an area with lots of snow this is an easy one. Build a snowman base and half of the chest. Then have father stand behind the snowman and lean forward. Fill in the rest of the chest so the father's arms are sticking out of it realistically. Place a corncob pipe in his mouth and a snowman hat on his head. Have everyone put a little more snow around his neck as the photo is taken. Be sure to get him some hot cocoa to help him warm up after this photo shoot!
3. Family NativityCast family members as part of a living nativity. Many churches have life-size nativity scenes and may let you temporarily replace a few characters if you ask.
4. Family of GrinchesA few santa suits and some green makeup will quickly turn you into a grinch. Have the entire family pretend to drag an oversize red bag stuffed with boxes as though you are "stealing Christmas". Another fun twist on this is to dress the youngest child as a "Who" and have her stand in front of the grinch family as though she is catching them in the act. Remember to have surprised faces on the grinches.
5. Family Spelling Holiday WordJust like with the kids, your whole family can spell out a holiday word using large painted letters from a craft/hobby store. Words such as "Merry", "Hope", and "Joy" work very well.