Glossy finish images tend to look as if they are wet or have been coated in clear lacquer.
- Properties of Glossy Prints
- High detail images possible
- Reflections often make it difficult to see image in bright light
- Most common inkjet paper type
- Shows fingerprints and smudges
Matte finish images have a flat, non-reflective look to them.
- Properties of Matte Prints
- Loss of fine image detail
- Dull look to images
- Not commonly available
- Does not show fingerprints
Semi-gloss finish images have a somewhat shiny textured surface similar to tiny pebbles. This finish is often called matte by lower-cost labs. Semi-gloss is called lustre by many labs. Whether labs call this finish "lustre" or "semi-gloss" seems to shift back and forth through the years.
- Properties of Semi-gloss Prints
- Minor loss of fine image detail
- Deep look to images
- Do not show reflections
- Do not who fingerprints or smudges