If you have questions about any of the lessons listed below in conjunction with this contest please ask it in the appropriate forum thread (linked below for your convenience).
- Flower Photo Lesson
- Introduction to Flower Photography
- Bonus Flower Photo Lesson
- Faux Xray Flowers (Too much editing for the contest but fun to try)
Things to Remember
- Contest Timeframe (photos must be taken during contest): May 1, 2012 to May 31, 2012 at 10PM Eastern Time
- Number of Entries Allowed: Four (4) Entries per person (only one per person can win)
- Entries Must be Numbered: Number your entry in the caption field
- Winner Announcement: Winners will be announced June 8, 2012
- Why can't all my photos win? - While we use a contest framework for the assignments, the primary goal is teaching photography. Because of this it is important to have opportunities for more people to receive the professional critiques given to the selected photos. I also feel it is important for multiple viewpoints to be expressed in the contest.
- Why can't HDR photos be entered? - Because this is a learning exercise the decision was made to not allow images that are composites of any kind so that the grasp of photography fundamentals can better be assessed. Our monthly forum photo contests do allow HDR and other composites to give you a venue to showcase these types of photos.
- Why can't I put a frame on my photo? - Like any contest, we need to see all the photos presented in the same way. Mats, frames, and borders can add to or detract from the visual impact of an image and change how it compares to other photos.
- Why was my photo disqualified? - The most common reasons that photos are disqualified are: 1. Lack of model release, 2. Taken outside the contest timeframe, and 3. Excessive digital manipulation. Please review the full rules before entering the assignment to avoid disqualification.
- Why hasn't my photo published yet? - Entries generally take about 48 hours to be approved. The most common reason a photo takes longer to publish is lack of an entry number. If you do not label your entry (either in the caption field or somewhere else in your entry form) as "Entry 1," "Entry 2," "Entry 3," or "Entry 4" your entry will be held until the END of the contest before being approved. This is to prevent accidental entry title duplication.
Another common reason for delay is incomplete entry forms. I don't mind making minor edits to entries but these are done on a time available basis and will delay your entry. If you submit a form with major edits needed to make it meet character count requirements it will be disqualified. This includes entries with large blocks of empty spaces, dashes, dots, or other placeholder characters added to fool the character count tool. There is a character count ticker under each field to let you know what the character counts are for each field. Please review the full rules before entering the assignment in order to avoid delays.
ENTER ASSIGNMENT BY CLICKING HERE